Our unique politicians – Which we love to brag about

Icelanders love to brag about their uniqueness. If you end up in a conversation about politics in Iceland, you most likely will hear one of these politicians name-dropped. Vigdís Finnbogadóttir – President of Iceland from 1980 – 1996  History was made in 1st of August 1980 when Vigdís Finnbogadóttir became the first woman in the world to […]

Read More…

Movies filmed in Iceland

Did you know that these movies were filmed in Iceland? Icelandic landscape has been very popular in movies that happen on another planets. James Bond, Ben Stiller, Jon Snow, Angelina Jolie, Batman. What do all these people have in common? They have all filmed in Iceland. Check out scenes, making of and behind the scenes […]

Read More…
Bjarnarflag power station in Iceland. Photo by Landsvirkjun

How Iceland succeeded with renewable energy

While some countries rely mostly on fossil fuels to make their energy, Iceland relies on 100% renewable energy sources to make their electricity. Hydroelectricity accounts for 73% and the other 27% is geothermal energy. In addition 9 out of every 10 buildings in Iceland are heated with geothermal energy. The cost of geothermal energy for […]

Read More…